Real-time UNIX - what is it & who h

aglew at urbsdc.Urbana.Gould.COM aglew at urbsdc.Urbana.Gould.COM
Sat Jul 2 00:35:00 AEST 1988

>The only problem with GOULD's RT-UNIX is that it is only intended to
>run on GOULD machines.  If GOULD is planning to port UTX/32-RT to other
>platforms, its news to me.

Well, actually, many of the features we were hoping to propose
for standardization -- hence our participation in the POSIX
committees (similarly for Secure UNIX).

Unfortunately, the RT committee got bogged down in ideological
questions, many of them put by large computer companies that
did not have RT features in their UNIX. Were they trying to
delay a RT standard? Nahh...

I've lost track of the RT committee recently, but hear they may
be making progress. I'm waiting for the day. We may have to make
some changes to conform to the standard, but they won't be too
hard.

Real-Time UNIX is an idea whose time has come.