DWB ownership (was: vi vs emacs in a student environment)

Guy Harris guy at gorodish.Sun.COM
Tue Jul 5 18:09:12 AEST 1988

> >And in a posting a few days ago, someone said that SoftQuad's enhanced
> >tools were the new official release of DWB.
>
> Many apologies, my misstatement - we're in the midst of
> INteractive/SoftQuad wars at my job and I'm getting alittle confused!  -
> SoftQuad's formatters are the new, official documenters workbench.

I think what the original poster *meant* was that SoftQuad's formatters were
*derived from* "the new, official Documenter's Workbench", presumably meaning
DWB 2.0.  Unfortunately, they stated this in a fashion that could lead somebody
to believe that they were claiming that SoftQuad's formatters *are* the latest
DWB release; i.e. that there is a DWB 3.0, issued by AT&T, that is the same
stuff that SoftQuad is shipping, or something such as that.

The exact statement was:

	Softquad Publishing Software is the official new release of AT&T
	Documenters Workbench, and hence does indeed contain licensed software
	from AT&T.

which would have been better stated as "SoftQuad Publishing Software is baded
on the official new release...", unless they really *are* claiming that AT&T is
just reselling SoftQuad's software, which I would find difficult to believe.