DWB ownership (was: vi vs emacs in a student environment)

Dave Yearke dgy at sigmast.UUCP
Thu Jul 7 03:06:00 AEST 1988

In article <58846 at sun.uucp> guy at gorodish.Sun.COM (Guy Harris) writes:
>The exact statement was:
>	Softquad Publishing Software is the official new release of AT&T
>	Documenters Workbench, and hence does indeed contain licensed software
>	from AT&T.
>which would have been better stated as "SoftQuad Publishing Software is baded
>on the official new release...", unless they really *are* claiming that AT&T is
>just reselling SoftQuad's software, which I would find difficult to believe.

I also found it difficult to believe when I heard about it several weeks ago.
Apparently, SoftQuad has rewritten troff to use a new device-independent output
format that is human-readable, unlike dvi output.  AT&T is evaluating it and if
they like it will resell it as DWB 3.0.  This is the story I got from our AT&T
representative several weeks ago, and was confirmed by a SoftQuad employee I
talked to.  (Disclaimer:  company reps have been known to be wrong.  I will
only say that this is what I was told, and may not be the actual case.)

--
		Dave Yearke, Sigma Systems Technology, Inc.
		   5813 Main St, Williamsville, NY 14221