emacs vs vi

David Dyer-Bennet ddb at ns.UUCP
Wed Jul 20 04:59:49 AEST 1988

In article <811 at cerebus.UUCP>, ronc at cerebus.UUCP (Ronald O. Christian) writes:
> I tried the above and when I tried to save the file the screen froze.
> David, I think you'd have to add some to your instructions.
  I didn't think I had to provide a complete set of instructions for
getting things to work on an arbitrary terminal.  There's little questions
of setting up terminal types and things, too, but I assumed all that had
been done as part of setting up the new user account, and so would be
transparent to the new user.  The first time I tried to use vi I got
an error message saying I needed a terminal that supported cursor
positioning, because the system administrator HADN'T done that stuff.
But I still think it should be done before the user ever sees the system.
--
	-- David Dyer-Bennet
	...!{rutgers!dayton | amdahl!ems | uunet!rosevax}!umn-cs!ns!ddb