emacs vs vi

james james at h-three.UUCP
Wed Jul 20 21:48:01 AEST 1988

[
    I have conceded long ago to our local emacs fanatic that emacs is much more
    powerful and perhaps a better editor than vi.  I have not switched.  I just
    don't fee like learning a new set of commands.
]

I have often heard emacs described as 'a mono-modal editor'.  And the largest
complaint I have heard about vi is the 'constant switching of modes' (which
I never even notice, and never thought was a problem when I learned vi).

I've been following this emacs vs. vi stuff and seen this sort of thing
a lot about emacs:

> documentation of all variables and funtions, as well as info-mode, which is
> get dired mode (the ability to edit/delete/rename/copy files in somewhat
> of a menu mode), integrated make, grep, and shell mode, as well as a
> nifty mail mode that undigests those long messages for you. I could

I have also heard of vi-mode, vip-mode, 'normal'-mode, gnu-emacs, micro-emacs,
unipress emacs, ....

I've never heard two vi users argue about which version of vi was better :-)