vi vs emacs in a student environment

J. Eaton chpf127 at ut-emx.UUCP
Sat Jul 9 13:46:33 AEST 1988

In article <12371 at mimsy.UUCP>, chris at mimsy.UUCP (Chris Torek) writes:
> I use both.  Daily.  I also use ed and ex (less frequently).  I can
> get by in GNU Emacs (my regular Emacs is `Torek Emacs', largely based
> on Unipress Emacs), WordStar, and EDT.  So what?

   Deletes ed and ex and add edlin (well, I've used it a litte ... I'm
   sorry, ok?) and microEmacs to the "I can get by in" section and you've
   got the editors I use/can sort of use.  All have advantages/disadvantages.
   I personally dislike vi because I'm always doing things in the wrong
   mode and ending up in a mess.  I also dislike emacs because there are
   a lot of things to remember.  But I like vi for the regular expressions,
   and I like emacs for the more sane command structure.  I actually
   use EDT more than either, because it's simple and fast, and I work
   with VM$ most of the time (unless I'm wasting time with news :-).

> Obviously, every student should learn every editor on every system
> around :-) .

  Obviously, it does have advantages.  Besides, I can tell everyone that
  while I don't know all the editors Chris Torek does, I hope to someday.

> In-Real-Life: Chris Torek, Univ of MD Comp Sci Dept (+1 301 454 7163)

  J. Eaton
  UT Department of Chemical Engineering

  I have no real life, I'm living in a fantasy world of computers all the time.