vi vs emacs in a student environment

Root Boy Jim rbj at nav.icst.nbs.gov
Tue Jul 19 11:56:20 AEST 1988

? From: Greg Lee <lee at uhccux.uhcc.hawaii.edu>

? >From article <420 at ns.ns.com>, by ddb at ns.ns.com (David Dyer-Bennet):
? " ...
? "    (We're both assuming that the delete or backspace key works normally,
? " right?)

? You consider normal behavior for delete to be backspace, and normal
? behavior for backspace to give help, right?

? 		Yours truly, a vi user.

The ASCII definition of DEL is `rubout', i.e. delete-backward-character.
The ASCII definition of BS is `backspace', a format effector that moves
the carriage one space to the left. This is not the same as deleting the
previous character.

The standard erase character on VAXEN is `delete', and has always been,
since the days when VAXEN were PDP-11's. To their credit, Berkeley changed
their standard character set to be compatible (except for ^D) with DEC
OS's. ^H is a mnemonic for `help', and makes as much sense as most editing
commands. If you don't like the bindings, change them.

		Yours truly, a GNU emacs user.

	(Root Boy) Jim Cottrell	<rbj at icst-cmr.arpa>
	National Bureau of Standards
	Flamer's Hotline: (301) 975-5688
	The opinions expressed are solely my own
	and do not reflect NBS policy or agreement
	Careful with that VAX Eugene!