vi vs emacs in a student environment

Ron Natalie ron at topaz.rutgers.edu
Sat Jul 9 07:00:33 AEST 1988

Hey, I've been a UNIX systems programmer for nearly ten years now.
I've worked on UNIX from Version 6 to System V to nearly every possible
flavor of BSD.  I've worked on IBM-PC's and braindamaged Intel not-quite-
finished-yet development systems.  I've made quite a nice living on both
my regular job and consulting.  I never use vi.

The only editor that I can count on working, without having to worry
if terminfo/termcap is installed properly, has my terminal type in
it, etc... is "ed."  Some of these systems don't even have "vi."
The only thing I know how to do in vi is type ":q." (actually, this
is not true anymore, I spend a month last year debugging a UniPress
EMACS vi emulator, so I had to learn a few vi commands in order to
test it).

Teach students "ed,"  that way they learn what regular expressions
are.  My wife and quite a few people around here who were taught
"vi" and EMACS as their first editor have the slightest idea how
to construct regular expressions...of course, nobody around here
knows what the file system looks like now that they have FSCK.

You know what else I don't like?  Those overhead bins on airplanes.
It used to be that you had to fit your carry on stuff under the seat
and all you could put above your head is your jacket.  Now as soon
as a plane pulls up to the gate, half the plane jumps up and starts
unloading their life's possessions from these stupid bins, dropping
them on people and blocking the aisles.  It used to be possible to
get off a plane in a reasonable amount of time, but not anymore...

-Ron