vi vs emacs in a student environment

Michael T Sullivan sullivan at vsi.UUCP
Tue Jul 12 00:55:56 AEST 1988

In article <Jul.8.17.00.31.1988.19561 at topaz.rutgers.edu>, ron at topaz.rutgers.edu (Ron Natalie) writes:

> Teach students "ed,"  that way they learn what regular expressions
> are.  My wife and quite a few people around here who were taught
> "vi" and EMACS as their first editor have the slightest idea how
> to construct regular expressions...of course, nobody around here
> knows what the file system looks like now that they have FSCK.

Yeah, and why are students using video terminals?  My wife and quite
a few people I know don't know why delete is 0177 (ascii).  If
people would just learn about paper tape there'd be lots more knowledge
around here.  Sure, productivity may drop off, but they'd know more.
Now, about those high-level languages some of you use...

--
Michael Sullivan			{uunet|attmail}!vsi!sullivan
V-Systems, Inc.  Santa Ana, CA		sullivan at vsi.com
ons, workstations, workstations, workstations, workstations, workstations, work