panic quote of the month

Greg Woods woods at gpu.utcs.toronto.edu
Wed Jul 20 13:09:25 AEST 1988

In article <6430 at ems.Ems.MN.ORG> barker at ems.Ems.MN.ORG (Bob Barker) writes:
>While glancing at an article in the recent issue of Mini/Micro Systems
>I read a quote that I'd love to confirm so that I can use it.  The
>article is "Unix on the PC" written by Bob Morein.  The quote reads:
>
>	"As with most sophisticated computer systems,
>	panics will occasionally occur; they should
>	not cause much concern,"
>
>Mr. Morein says this quote is from The UNIX System Administrator's Guide.
>Well, I've got the Unix System V Administrator's Guide for DEC Processors
>and I don't see it anywhere.  Is this in a BSD manual somewhere?  Does
>anybody have an idea where I might find this quote if it does exist?

It is on page C-13 (that's p. 13 in Appendix C) of the "UNIX System V
Release 3.0:  System Administrator's Guide".  What he fails to note is
that the surrounding text states PANICS are usually caused by hardware
problems, or ***MINOR*** problems in the kernel, and warns that frequent
PANICS will require attention of a service rep.  I read the implication
in is as:  there will probably be a few bugs in the release, and
reporting every panic would overload any and all support personnel, with
little result.

--
						Greg Woods.

UUCP: utgpu!woods, utgpu!{cpcc, ontmoh, ontmoh!cpcc, tmsoft!cpcc}!woods
VOICE: (416) 242-7572 [h]		LOCATION: Toronto, Ontario, Canada