Is a NEED for more COMMERCIAL usenet feed providers?

Jack Bonn jack at swlabs.UUCP
Fri Jul 8 22:37:30 AEST 1988

In article <4737 at killer.UUCP> wisner at killer.UUCP (Bill Wisner) writes:
>>A good suggestion, which I was thinking of employing myself, but one to
>>be used with caution.  You'll note that Telenet is *very* sticky about
>>PC Pursuit not being used for commerical purposes.
>
>Would you please, then, explain why TELENET promotes the use of PC Pursuit
>to access commercial systems like Portal, Mnematics, and Exec PC?
>
>Believe me, our friends at US Sprint have no problem with non-commercial
>people using PC Pursuit to access commercial services.

I have spent the last day trying to unearth some early documentation
regarding PC Pursuit which I remember clearly stated that PC Pursuit
was appropriate for personal and SMALL BUSINESS applications (emphasis
mine).  I would be glad to continue looking around.  But can anyone tell
me:

1) Did I dream this?

2) Did Telenet have a change a heart (or regulation)?

3) If I did see this, can anyone supply the applicable quote?

4) Did I miss an alternative?

I _did_ find the following on the PC PURSUIT 800 INFO BBS:

PCP>     With PC Pursuit, you can:
PCP>
PCP>     --->  Transfer files - such as spreadsheets, word processing documents,
PCP>           and graphics - to business associates
PCP>
PCP>     --->  Upload and download public domain software from thousands of
PCP>           Bulletin Board Systems in each PC Pursuit city
PCP>
PCP>     --->  Correspond with friends who have communicating PC's
PCP>
PCP>     --->  Access valuable business information and databases for research
PCP>
PCP>     --->  Shop and advertise in electronic catalogs.

I think that the reference to "business associates" in the 4th line is
the most telling; I don't believe that PC Pursuit is in any way limited
to non-commercial use (even links from commercial to commercial sites).

The only thing they seem to forbid is the reselling of services.  I would
assume that this would forbid uunet from calling me on PC Pursuit and
adding a surcharge for this service.  Oh well, I guess there are limits
to everything.
--
Jack Bonn, <> Software Labs, Ltd, Box 451, Easton CT  06612
uunet!swlabs!jack