vi vs emacs in a student environment

Rob Healey rhealey at umn-d-ub.D.UMN.EDU
Tue Jul 5 12:29:04 AEST 1988

	If you take a close look at the original poster's message it seems
	to me that their asking for an editor that STUDENTS can use; not
	programmers, not system admins, STUDENTS. I've worked with STUDENTS
	in computer labs for 4 years. We use vi exclusively, why?

	<ESC>, arrow keys, i, a, x, dd, O, o, :wq

	The keystrokes listed above are ALL that 90% of the STUDENTS need.

	Most humans with a reasonable IQ can handle the above with 30 minutes
	or less practice. I'd hate to have to explain the concept of a meta
	key to an incomming freshman. STUDENTS don't need multiple windows
	or fancy features, just a fast way of creating text. Except for :wq
	and O all the above commands require the student to hit ONE key; no
	control, no shift, no meta, no multikey combination. When the students
	gain experience they can research new editors if they wish. For the
	non majors who have to take CS as a junk credit or to kill off lib eds
	the vi commands above serve just fine.

	Just thought I'd put things in a slightly different perspective.

				-Rob
--

			-Rob