vi vs emacs in a student environment

Fred Fish fnf at fishpond.UUCP
Tue Jul 5 09:05:04 AEST 1988

In article <449 at jonlab.UUCP> jon at jonlab.UUCP (Jon H. LaBadie) writes:
>The original poster solicited comments on which editor was most appropriate
>in an education environment, i.e. which would best serve the students
>need and prepare them for post-academia.
>
>Just because emacs IS AVAILABLE for system X does not mean that on
>implementation Y of system X it will be there.  Vi will be!  Yeah,

You can probably count on vi being available if and only if
"system X" == "some modern version of Unix".  What percentage of
computer science graduates end up working with Unix?  What percentage
of ALL graduates, regardless of major, that work with computers, end
up working on Unix?  (No, I don't have these numbers either :-)

If "system X" is not "some modern version of Unix" then I still maintain
that the probability of having an EMACS-like editor available is far greater
than the probability of having a VI-like editor available.

Yes, graduates should probably know how to at least start up vi and
perform simple editing tasks, particularly if they are in computer
science.  This discussion probably should continue in comp.editors.

-Fred
--
# Fred Fish, 1346 West 10th Place, Tempe, AZ 85281,  USA
# noao!nud!fishpond!fnf                   (602) 921-1113