Unix editors

Wilson Heydt whh at pbhya.PacBell.COM
Wed Jul 13 06:45:05 AEST 1988

In article <574 at splut.UUCP>, jay at splut.UUCP (Jay "you ignorant splut!" Maynard) writes:
> In article <272 at jackson.UUCP> hboswell at jackson.UUCP (Harry Boswell) writes:
> >Does anyone know of an editor available for unix that emulates the
> >ISPF/PDF editor of IBM mainframe-environment fame?  We connect to
> >an MVS system and most programmers I can hire have worked only in that
> >environment (no unix here in the deepest South).  Vi tends to be a shock
> >to them.
>
> Me too!
> I spend all day, every day, in front of ISPF/PDF. Coming home to another
> editor is disconcerting, to say the least. I've gotten MicroEMACS, which
> is a distinct improvement over vi, but having the same thing on Unix as
> I use at work would be very nice.
> ...Jay

I, too, spend all day in front of the ISPF editor.  It's ghastly.
Unfortunately there is not way (that I know of) to put a decent editor
on a block-transfer terminal, but that doesn't mean I have to like it.

If your new programmers can't learn new editors--you need a better grade
of programmer.

Before you write me off as some kid that learned vi in school and resents
anything else, let me note that when I started programming you had to
worry about the difference between an 024 keypunch and an 026.  I was a
student at Berkeley before UNIX existed.

I currently have to keep track of 4 TSO, 1 VM, and 3 UNIX accounts--and
that's just at work.  So what's a couple of different editors among
friends?

     --Hal