RCS and SCCS

Doug Gwyn gwyn at brl-smoke.ARPA
Thu Jun 30 03:18:48 AEST 1988

In article <1023 at unccvax.UUCP> wdg at unccvax.UUCP (Doug Gullett) writes:
>The learning curve for using RCS effectively is probably easier that SCCS.

For routine simple use, that is true, although the difference is not very
significant.  People who know how to write shell scripts can mimic RCS
commands using SCCS utilities, or do even more useful things.

>... a few manual pages
>would bring programmers up to speed on RCS while whole volumes are written
>about the use of SCCS.

This is quite misleading.  I haven't seen "volumes" on SCCS, but it is
easy to use for routine purposes.

	admin -iFILE s.FILE	# create archive
	get s.FILE		# check out latest version for use
	get -e s.FILE		# check out for editing
	delta s.FILE		# check edited version back in