DEC hardware manuals

Chris Torek chris at mimsy.UUCP
Fri Jun 17 00:37:32 AEST 1988

In article <1105 at unmvax.unm.edu> mike at turing.unm.edu (Michael I. Bushnell)
writes:
>...  DEC has a competitor for Ultrix, but the response has not been to
>improve Ultrix, it has been to keep hardware manuals secret so UCB
>can't write drivers.

Unless there is a conspiracy of which I am unaware (which is of course
possible), this is not why DEC clings to their hardware documentation
so tightly.  Rather, it is in a (laughably ineffective) attempt to keep
hardware vendors like Emulex from gleaning some of `their' market share.
>From my vantage point, the only thing this policy gets DEC is lost
sales, because I recommend against products for which detailed manuals
are not available.

(Ah well: we already have our revenge :-) , as the RISC machines sweep
past DEC while DEC's marketing dithers.  If they had brought out their
RISC [nicknamed Titan, I believe] four years ago, they might have the
lead.)