Trusting operating systems: vendor or university?

Doug Gwyn gwyn at brl-smoke.ARPA
Fri Jun 10 08:34:41 AEST 1988

In article <2737 at ttrdc.UUCP> levy at ttrdc.UUCP (Daniel R. Levy) writes:
># Those few that have taken "quick fix" approaches I've generally found to
># cause more damage than they repair.
>Would you care to give some case histories showing how you found this to
>be so?

I'll give just one example.  Back when I was working for a small
software firm whose products were totally dependent on DEC PDP-11
operating systems and compilers, we got monthly software update
notes (bug fixes).  It didn't take us long to discover that the
way to use them was to wait at least two months to install
suggested patches.  The reason was that a disproportionately
large percentage of the patches themselves were patched, usually
in the next monthly update.