Packet size & number of windows in UUCP

Alen Shapiro alen at cogen.UUCP
Tue Mar 1 06:00:16 AEST 1988

In article <15322 at pyramid.pyramid.com> csg at pyramid.UUCP (Carl S. Gutekunst) writes:
>>In article <398 at cogen.UUCP>, alen at cogen.UUCP (Alen Shapiro) writes:
>> ukc (University of Kent U.K.) have had a version of uucp (I believe it
>> is a p.d. version) that one can specify both packet-size and # of windows
>> in the L.sys file.
>
>The "packet and window size" in UKUUCP refers to the X.25 packet and window
>size, negotiated all call request time by the two X.25 DTEs. It is entirely
>different from the uucico 'g' protocol window and packet size. In fact, when
>to X.25 sites connect, they aren't using 'g' protocol at all; they use 'f'.

Nope..... the packet and window size I was referring to IS the size in bytes
of each packet and the number of packets allowed to be outstanding before
an ACK is required. If I misunderstood the original poster then my apologies
(but I don't think I did).

>A pity they had to add another field to L.sys to do this. I rather like the
>way we do it here, with subfields in the fifth field:

FYI - ukuucp did more than just invent a new field - they redefined
the language - made it more powerful (and provided a utility to automatically
translate old form to new). Here is a sample L.sys entry. To further confirm
my first point the fN means DONT use protocol 'f' (packet size is 128 bytes
window is 3 for this entry - runs really fast down a 1200/2400 modem).

# The login sequence is:
#       \r              send carriage return
#       ?ogin:          look for 'ogin:', if found skip past all following
#                       strings begining with ! or ?
#       !\r             Send a return only obeyed if previous ?ogin failed
#       ?ogin:          look for 'ogin:', if found skip past all following
#                       strings begining with ! or ?
#       @#              between : and ? means set timeout to # seconds
#       noway\r         login as noway
#       ?ssword:        look for Password:
#       noway\r supply the password.
#
# The 8 in 8fN means its to use the normal 8-bit protocol and the fN says
# don't use the f-protocol (which relies on a fully working flow control).

dads Any,0 ACU 2400 8:3:128fN 1213noway \
		:\r @10 ?ogin: !\r ?ogin: !\r ?ogin: noway\r @45 ?ssword: noway\r

# do it through Gandalf if above fails to connect

dads Any,0 ACU 1200 8:3:128fN 1213noway \
		:\d\d\r @10 ?class !\r ?class :75\r ?start\
		!y\r @60 ?start ?start \
		: @2 ?ogin: !\b ?ogin: !\b ?ogin: !\b ?ogin: !\b ?ogin: \
		:noway\r @45 ?ssword: noway\r

>But alas, our UUCP won't talk to ukc. I'm going to find out why, someday....

When I was at Citicorp I got Pyramid uucp on 4.3 to talk to ukuucp with
no trouble. (-: Have Pyramid broken uucp again? :-) If you'll mail me the AUDIT
I'll be glad to try and help? (I was NOT using X.25 for this connect - just
plain old tty lines)

>....it is based on 4.2BSD UUCP. And of course the base code is proprietary to
>AT&T. However, if you can prove you have a source license, you can get it for
>free. So you might say that UKC's modifications are PD. And any site that has
>a source license can compile it for a neighboring site that has only a binary
>license, and give them the binary.
><csg>

Fraid this is correct. The new version I'm expecting from UKC will
be distributable in source version to source AT&T sites only, however
don't dispair since with the help of the net I'm sure we can find a
source site with a similar configuration that could gen a binary for
most interested sites.

To those who have already mailed me - I'll get back to you within the next
couple of days to find out how we can arrange to kit you out.

--alen the Lisa slayer (it's a long story)