Packet size & number of windows in UUCP

Carl S. Gutekunst csg at pyramid.pyramid.com
Wed Mar 2 04:05:24 AEST 1988

>>The "packet and window size" in UKUUCP refers to the X.25 packet and window
>>size....
>
>Nope..... the packet and window size I was referring to IS the size in bytes
>of each packet and the number of packets allowed to be outstanding before
>an ACK is required.

Yeah, shame on me. (Two complete blunders in one posting! Arggghh.) I have the
UKUUCP source, and studied it before I posted; but the packet-size stuff is
implemented in a clever way that fooled me. My apologies for posting misinfor-
mation; thanks to you and Lee for the correction. Maybe I should try *running*
the code and see what it does. Radical concept.

>FYI - ukuucp did more than just invent a new field - they redefined
>the language -

Granted, but I have this thing about incompatible formats of the UUCP control
files in different versions. Enough different versions already. Of course,
some things (like USERFILE) will have to go some day....

>When I was at Citicorp I got Pyramid uucp on 4.3 to talk to ukuucp with
>no trouble. (-: Have Pyramid broken uucp again? :-)

No, I don't think I broke UUCP again. :-) It works fine with on dialup; I was
talking about direct X.25 over JANET. Some weird problem with X.3 parameters.
Since Lee McLoughlin has made the mistake of identifying himself on the USENET
:-), I'll talk to him directly about it.

>however don't dispair since with the help of the net I'm sure we can find a
>source site with a similar configuration that could gen a binary for most
>interested sites.

As I mentioned earlier, I was wrong. Source sites cannot generate binaries for
interested binary sites, without a redistribution license and relicensing of
the target system. I believe Pyramid's UK office provides binaries of UKUUCP
for their customers (hey Brian, can you confirm this?), but they do have all
the appropriate licenses.

<csg>