Packet size & number of windows in UUCP

Neil Todd neil at ist.CO.UK
Sat Mar 5 11:10:16 AEST 1988

>From article <16000 at pyramid.pyramid.com>, by csg at pyramid.pyramid.com (Carl S. Gutekunst):
>>>The "packet and window size" in UKUUCP refers to the X.25 packet and window
>>>size....

.
.

>>FYI - ukuucp did more than just invent a new field - they redefined
>>the language -
>
> Granted, but I have this thing about incompatible formats of the UUCP control
> files in different versions. Enough different versions already. Of course,
> some things (like USERFILE) will have to go some day....

The UKUUCP L.sys, although different, is much nicer, giving standard
SEND- EXPECT, but also OTHERWISE during login sequence, also supports
narrow datapaths 8,7,6, (5? 4?).

.

> No, I don't think I broke UUCP again. :-) It works fine with on dialup; I was
> talking about direct X.25 over JANET. Some weird problem with X.3 parameters.
> Since Lee McLoughlin has made the mistake of identifying himself on the USENET
> :-), I'll talk to him directly about it.

You did set your X3 profile correctly didn't you ? read fio.c, Oh
alright here it is:-

/*
 * flow-control protocol.
 *
 * This protocol relies exclusively on flow control of the
 * data stream. It is meant for working over links that can
 * (almost) be guaranteed to be errorfree, like direct links
 * or X.25 links.
 * It carries out a sumcheck over a whole file only. If a
 * transport fails the receiver can request retransmission(s).
 * This protocol uses a 7-bit datapath only, so it can be
 * used on links that are not 8-bit transparent.
 * When using this protocol with an X.25 PAD:
 * Although this protocol uses no control chars except CR,
 * control chars NULL and ^P are used before this protocol
 * is started; since ^P is the default char for accessing
 * PAD X.28 command mode, be sure to disable that access
 * (PAD par 1). Also make sure both flow control pars
 * (5 and 12) are set. The CR used in this proto is meant
 * to trigger packet transmission, hence par 3 should be
 * set to 2; a good value for the Idle Timer (par 4) is 10.
 * All other pars should be set to 0.
 *
 * Author: Piet Beertema, CWI, Amsterdam, Sep 1984
 * mcvax!piet
 *
 * LMCL.  This has been modified for UKUUCP and to cope with UK Pad's.
 * Fio can be banned by having the WIDTH entry in the L.sys
 * file contain the string "fN".
 * eg:  westcsr Any DIR 9600 8:2:64fN csr_line login string
 * Have the fN at the end so it can still read the windows/packets fields.
 * By using fP rather than fY fio will be used with the sole difference
 * that it will use cntrl-V rather then cntrl-P as the sync character in
 * imsg/omsg.  This is necessary if your PAD cannot send ^P's when flow
 * control is enabled.
 */

>>however don't dispair since with the help of the net I'm sure we can find a
>>source site with a similar configuration that could gen a binary for most
>>interested sites.
>
> As I mentioned earlier, I was wrong. Source sites cannot generate binaries for
> interested binary sites, without a redistribution license and relicensing of
> the target system. I believe Pyramid's UK office provides binaries of UKUUCP
> for their customers (hey Brian, can you confirm this?), but they do have all
> the appropriate licenses.
They have it.