read in to history list

Bo Thide irf at kuling.UUCP
Sat Mar 12 15:50:02 AEST 1988

In article <2450002 at hpsal2.HP.COM> morrell at hpsal2.HP.COM (Michael
Morrell) writes:
>/ hpsal2:comp.unix.questions / mike at ivory.SanDiego.NCR.COM (Michael
>Lodman) /  8:58 am  Feb 29, 1988 /
>Does someone know of a way to read commands into a history list
>under csh? I have some commands that I would like read in at
>login time.
>Try: source -h file
>
>It's documented for 4.1BSD csh.  It does not work on HP-UX (why?).

I ask myself the same thing.  Strangely enough does 'history -h'
work in HP-UX even though it is not documented!  So I thought that
'source -h' should work too and I even mentioned that in one of
my bug reports, hoping that HP, in their ambition to please their
customers ( ;-> ), would implement 'source -h'.

Another possible way to add to the history buffer would be to
update the $HOME/.history file at login time.  I usually play
around with that file to remove duplicate commands (an idea
I got from an article in "HP Communicator").

BTW, there are a few other undocumented commands available in HP-UX
'csh'.  One is 'bye' which seems to work the same way as 'logout'/'exit'.