killing daemons

der Mouse mouse at mcgill-vision.UUCP
Sun Mar 13 13:13:22 AEST 1988

In article <10096 at ulysses.homer.nj.att.com>, cjc at ulysses.homer.nj.att.com (Chris Calabrese[rs]) writes:
> In article <20917 at bbn.COM>, mesard at bbn.com (Wayne Mesard) writes:
>> During execution [a daemon] occasionally checks to see if the parent
>> is still around, and commits suicide if it isn't:
> If the parent of this deamon is the shell,

More likely, its parent is now init, but its parent used to be the
shell.  That is, when it was started, it forked and exited to put
itself into the background.

> it should receive the hangup signal upon the termination of the shell
> through logging out.

Huh?  As far as I can tell, my processes never get HUPs when the shell
exits.  Certainly not if they're running.  (If they are stopped, the
shell warns, but if you insist, it will go ahead and exit.  It then
does send some signal to the stopped jobs, but I don't recall what
signal.  But none of that happens to running jobs.)

					der Mouse

			uucp: mouse at mcgill-vision.uucp
			arpa: mouse at larry.mcrcim.mcgill.edu