Documentation Revision Control System

Nick Cuccia cuccia%mica.Berkeley.EDU at violet.berkeley.edu
Sat Mar 12 12:46:43 AEST 1988

Pardon my asking this, but why not just use RCS or SCCS?  SCCS is what I
use for revision control of my documentation, but RCS runs on both Unix
and MS-DOS systems.  You'd have to ask W. Tichy <tichy at purdue.edu>, the
author of RCS, about whether or not it's available on VMS.

Also, if you check the MINIX source archives on bugs.nosc.mil, you should
be able to find an RCS-like system that somebody distributed on comp.os.minix.
Not sure if it's public domain or just user-supported, it probably wouldn't
be too much effort to port to VMS.

The only difficulty that I see with using something like SCCS or RCS
is setting up a header for the document.  When I start editing a document,
I include a file (called {rcs,sccs}.{tex,tr,ps}) that looks like this:

	.\"
	.\" File Name:		%M%
	.\" Version:		%I%
	.\" Last Edited:	%E% %U%
	.\" SCCS ID:		%A%
	.\"

(the above is the SCCS header for troff/eqn/tbl/pic/ideal files).

Good Luck,
--Nick