Neat little .newsrc fixer-upper.

Nate Hess nate at mipos3.intel.com
Mon May 2 03:27:34 AEST 1988

In article <606 at mccc.UUCP> pjh at mccc.UUCP (Pete Holsberg) writes:
>Could you explain that?  What is there about emacs that lets it edit
>.newsrc, and what is there about vi that forbids it?  Thanks.

vi has a compiled-in limit to the length of lines in its buffer --
char buffer_line[LARGE-BUT-NEVER-LARGE-ENOUGH-NUMBER] -- and it croaks
if it tries to read in a file with a line larger than this limit,
truncating the remainder of the file.

Emacs has no such limit.  In fact, I have used Emacs to edit binaries.

--woodstock
--
	   "How did you get your mind to tilt like your hat?"

...!{decwrl|hplabs!oliveb|pur-ee|qantel|amd}!intelca!mipos3!nate
<domainish> :   nate at mipos3.intel.com		ATT :    (408) 765-4309