Empty Directory? (Was: Picking a character from a word)

Michael Morrell morrell at hpsal2.HP.COM
Thu May 12 06:53:59 AEST 1988

/ hpsal2:comp.unix.questions / mdorion at cmtl01.UUCP (Mario Dorion) /  7:15 pm  May  7, 1988 /

BTW: what does "set nonomatch" do ???

--
     Mario Dorion              | ...!{rutgers,uunet,ihnp4}!
     Frisco Bay Industries     |            philabs!micomvax!cmtl01!mdorion

In csh, setting "nonomatch" causes the shell to leave unchanged a construct
like "*" which does not match anything, rather than giving an error message.
For example, if my current directory only has the file "foo" and I type:

  ls b*

I will normally get an error ("No match").  If nonomatch is set, however,
the shell will say: "b* not found".

  Michael Morrell