Sun 386i (Road Runner) AT-bus - advice wanted

John Lalonde lalonde at nicmad.UUCP
Fri May 27 23:25:20 AEST 1988

In article <13155 at santra.UUCP> atk at hutcs.hut.fi, atk at finhutcs.bitnet writes:
>I have heard the following (unconfirmed) about the RR AT-bus:
>1. You cannot access it from the Sun OS.

This is definitely false. You can access the AT Bus from SunOS. No tricks or
gimmicks. You can have memory mapped I/O access or I/O port access.

>2. Sun will not supply drivers for any add-on boards.

I believe that currently this is true. However this is also true for Sun VME
based systems as well. Generally it is up to the add-on board manufacturer
to provide the driver(s).

>1. Can we down-load applications from the development system to the board
>   on the AT-bus? If so, do we have to write our own driver? If not, why not?

Yes, you can download applications and Yes, you will probably have to write a
driver, unless you can get the board manufacturer to provide one. The "driver"
could be a Mush-DOS driver or a SunOS driver. The 386i can go both ways.
--
John LaLonde
Systems Engineering Group