Sun 386i (Road Runner) AT-bus - advice wanted

Stan Brown stan at sdba.UUCP
Tue May 31 23:18:17 AEST 1988

> I have heard the following (unconfirmed) about the RR AT-bus:
>
> 1. You cannot access it from the Sun OS.

	Don't Know.

> 2. Sun will not supply drivers for any add-on boards.

	Sun apears (acording to conversations with local office) to
	have taken the postion that it is not in the PC bussiness &
	therefore *ALL* suport for AT bis cards (except the egae/vga
	emulator board (which *will be a SUN product)) must be by
	third party baord OEM's .  For what it's worht our needs for
	this machine had a requirment for a fair number of serail
	ports & the local SUN office was able to put us in touch with
	an approraite OEM on very short nottice.

> Is 1. true or simply a missinterpretation of 2.?
> Has anyone acctually used a PC-bus add-on board (such as an intelligent
> I/O board, e.g. IBM RIC) with the RR?
> Any problems (SW or HW)?

	stan

--
Stan Brown	S. D. Brown & Associates	404-292-9497
(uunet gatech)!sdba!stan				"vi forever"