unix on the ibm pc?

Ken Seefried iii ccastks at pyr.gatech.EDU
Tue May 17 02:23:44 AEST 1988

In article <1321MLWLG at CUNYVM> MLWLG at CUNYVM.CUNY.EDU writes:
>I have asked been asking around if anybody knows of a unix system for
>for the ibm pc (compatibles...), but the answers were no.

This Kindof depends on what you want to do....

First, I assume that you are talking about the PC and not the PC/AT....

That said, the answer, techinically, is yes, there is a real unix
availible for the PC (as opposed to a toy or educational system, a la
xinu and minix).  Interactive Systems at one time sold a product called
PC/IX which was a port of System III.  It is real, and apparently does
run (Tannenbaum used PC/IX to write minix).

I don't know if its still availible and I have never used it (or any other
System III product).

I have a lot of respect for Interactive if it does work even a little.
No address space protection, slow as tar machine, etc, etc...

DISCLAIMER: I see nothing, hear nothing, know nothing...and i don't
	work for Interactive.

	ken seefried iii
	ken at gatech.edu