UMIPS-BSD Fortran I/O unit limit

kokody2 at mill.me.toronto.edu kokody2 at mill.me.toronto.edu
Sat May 28 06:41:30 AEST 1988

I am using the Mips Microsystems f77 fortran compiler running on a
MIPS M1000 computer running UMIPS-BSD UNIX. I have run into difficulty
installing a finite element package due to a compiler quirk that
allows one have a maximum of 17 files at any one time. Documentation
for the fortran is unfortunately quite sparse and incomplete. Is it
possible to open more files by setting up some unmentioned flag
or reconfiguring the fortran compiler? Or is there something in the
UMIPS-BSD that can overide this apparent limit of 17 files. A test
program confirmed the 17 file limit.

The run-time error message given is:

	open: illegal unit number

The program compiles with no errors using the 2nd level of Optimization.

This same package works fine on our SUN 3/180's which appear to
allow us to open 24 files at any one time. To re-write the package
would be a slight major inconvenience considering the source code
is slighlty over 3 Mbytes in size. Any help/pointers would be
appreciated.

Thank you,

		Gerry Kokodyniak

Gerry Kokodyniak, Ph.D. Student, Dept. of Mechanical Engineering, U. of Toronto
Structural Integrity Fatigue and Fracture Research Laboratory (416) 978-6853
USENET: kokody2 at me.utoronto.edu         BITNET: kokody2 at ME.UTORONTO
UUCP: {linus,ihpn4,allegra,decvax,floyd}!utcsri!me!kokody2