UMIPS-BSD Fortran I/O unit limit

Roger Klorese rogerk at mips.COM
Mon May 30 13:12:22 AEST 1988

In article <2269 at admin.mips.COM> rogerk at admin.UUCP (Roger Klorese) writes:
(A mis-posted message, which SHOULD have been):

In article <13426.1988May27.16:41:31 at mill.me.toronto.edu> kokody2 at me.toronto.edu (Gerry Kokodyniak) writes:
>I am using the Mips Microsystems f77 fortran compiler running on a
>MIPS M1000 computer running UMIPS-BSD UNIX.

That's "MIPS Computer Systems"... it's that *other* company that's
something-or-other Microsystems... ;-)

>I have run into difficulty
>installing a finite element package due to a compiler quirk that
>allows one have a maximum of 17 files at any one time.

quirk (n.): 1. undocumented feature; 2. a bug by any other name...

Either of these may be the cause, but the fix is that age-old bug-aboo:

"Fixed in the next release"

See:
-----

Script started on Sun May 29 10:22:50 1988
rogerk at admin[1] cat x.f
	do 100 i=1,60
	open(unit=i+40)
	write(i+40,1000)
1000	format("Hello world")
100	continue
	end
rogerk at admin[2] f771.21 x.f
rogerk at admin[3] a.out
open: illegal unit number
rogerk at admin[4] f771.31 x.f
rogerk at admin[5] a.out
rogerk at admin[6] exit
script done on Sun May 29 10:23:38 1988

-----

Please contact Customer Service for a release date; my understanding is
that the 1.31 compilers will be available during June.
--
Roger B.A. Klorese			MIPS Computer Systems, Inc.
{ames,decwrl,prls,pyramid}!mips!rogerk	25 Burlington Mall Rd, Suite 300