Multiple runs in the background.

Ian Dillon dillon at uhccux.UUCP
Sat May 21 04:54:18 AEST 1988

This may seem trivial to you UNIX gurus, but as I'm fairly new
to UNIX please bare with me.

What follows is a section from a DCL file which assigns fortran
I/O units to logical names.  I realise you can do something similar
using the "setenv FORxxx CUO_Cxxx.DAT" on UNIX.  What I'd like to
do is set up a procedure which will prompt the user to supply the
name of a data file, use this name for all output, and then
submit the fortran program to run in the background of an Ultrix
system.

I'd like to do multiple runs using various data files.  Would it be
simpler to write: (1) a "makefile", (2) a fortran subroutine, or
(3) a "C" program, and pass the name to my main routine written
in fortran?

DCL procedure ...

	$ ! ***************************************************
	$ ! CUO_C
	$ ! ***************************************************
	$ ASSIGN/USER [DILLON.SCRATCH]CUO_C01.JNK FOR001
	$ ASSIGN/USER [DILLON.SCRATCH]CUO_C08.JNK FOR008
	$ ASSIGN/USER [DILLON.DATA]CUO_C.CON FOR022
	$ ASSIGN/USER [DILLON.DATA]CUO_C.OPT FOR021
	$ ASSIGN/USER [DILLON.DATA]CUO_C.DAT FOR005
	$ ASSIGN/USER [DILLON.OUT]CUO_C.OUT FOR006
                                      |          \
                                      |           \
                                      |            \
                                logical name    I/O unit

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.  Mahalo in advance!

	Ian
--
    |                      UUCP: dillon at uhccux.UUCP                     |
    |           ARPA: dillon%uhccux.uhcc.hawaii.edu at rutgers.edu         |