Hamilton Group Announcement

net.executioner jeff at polyslo.UUCP
Tue May 31 12:51:19 AEST 1988

In article <22992 at bu-cs.BU.EDU> bzs at bu-cs.BU.EDU (Barry Shein) writes:

>>aforementioned OCO policy); the IBMers who were there would only say
>>something to the effect that they were aware of the importance of the
>>issue and that they were looking into it.  (If my memory serves me
>>rightly here.)
>
>Having heard that phrase from them untold times that is IBMese for
>"No" ('We are aware of it and looking into it').

  At the time that I left the IBM group doing 4.3 for RT's and 6152
Academic Systems(5 months ago) they were still distributing systems
with source code.  THE ONLY WAY YOU COULD GET THE SYSTEM WAS WITH
SOURCE CODE!!!! There were discussions of a binary only distribution,
as an option, but I don't think that this as been implemented yet.
The people giving the talk were probably marketing types who could not
fathom the possibility of IBM distributing source code.

	Jeff Weinstein
	Computer Systems Lab, Cal Poly State Univ.
	jeff at polyslo or ucbvax!voder!polyslo!jeff