Transferring binary files from VAX BSD 4.2 to MS-DOS

Thomas Maddox maddoxt at novavax.UUCP
Mon May 2 07:36:31 AEST 1988

In article <786 at ms3.UUCP> msicv01 at ms3.UUCP (Jay G. Heiser) writes:
>I've seen several postings lately in response to someone who is having
>difficulty transferring files from a VAX using unix to an MS-DOS PC.
> [ . . . ]
>No one mentioned setting file type to binary on both the PC and the remote
>host.  You MUST do it on the remote host, or every ^J will be turned into a
>^M^J combo.  I believe the -i flag does the exact same thing.
> [ . . . ]
>Also, parity will screw things up too, if you happen to have anything along
>the line set to 7 bits.  Our IBM host only works with kermit with space parity.

	For those who followed the earlier discussion concerning
transmission difficulties involving Unix/kermit at the Vax end,
Procomm/kermit at the other, there appears to be a definitive
solution.  If for some reason you must stay in Procomm (for instance,
you don't have an external kermit package), then you use kermit si
[filename] at the Unix end, then from Procomm change from E71 to N81,
using alt-p, and the file will be received fine (afterwards, of course,
you must change back to E71, or your screen will contain only gibberish).
Alternatively, you can shell out of Procomm with alt-F4 and run kermit
as an external protocol.
	Apologies for repeating this information if you already know
it, but I know from experience how frustrating this little problem can
be.