Apollo--4.2 BSD DOMAIN/IX

Jack F. Vogel jackv at turnkey.gryphonTCC.COM
Wed Aug 23 19:23:36 AEST 1989

In article <8908212119.AA20387 at spencer.cs.uoregon.edu> chung at CS.UOREGON.EDU writes:

>	Please accept my apology if my question is put in the wrong
>group.  Recently, I connected an Apollo workstation (BSD DOMAIN/IX) to
>the local area network (Ethernet) at the University of Oregon.  But I
>got a problem.  I cannot rlogin the Apollo workstation.  The message
>(double underlined) I got back is

>rlogind: All network ports in use.

>When I tried telnet, it seemed working but I got another painful
>message as soon as logged on:

>Connection closed by foreign host.

Just a guess but I would say you might have one of two problems, either your
system doesn't have any ptyp's and/or ttyp's made in the /dev directory, this
should be easy enough to check; or your kernel may not be configured with these
drivers actually in it. To check if that is the case, assuming you find, say,
/dev/ttyp0, try and cat > /dev/ttyp0 and see if you get some message like
"no such device or address". If this does happen you are going to have to
reconfigure and build a new kernel.

If it turns out that you simply have no /dev/ttyp* or /dev/ptyp* all you have
to worry about is what majors to use and mknod them.

Jack F. Vogel			jackv at seas.ucla.edu
AIX Technical Support	              - or -
Locus Computing Corp.		jackv at ifs.umich.edu