Strangeness in shell

Doug Gwyn gwyn at smoke.BRL.MIL
Tue Aug 8 05:51:56 AEST 1989

In article <9747 at alice.UUCP> debra at alice.UUCP () writes:
>I don't know the 5620 firmware, only Rob's "mux" interface.
>On the 630 I cannot type a command, say "ls file", then click before the
>"f", type "-l", click at the end of the line, press return and have
>the shell execute "ls -l file". That's what I mean by local command line
>editing, and that's not possible on the 630 because it operates in full
>duplex.

On the 630, you can perform a similar local edit, snarf the edited line
(newline not yet having been typed), type line-erase so that UNIX doesn't
see the characters already typed, then send the snarfed edited line.
"mux" maintains a record of the last-output point and doesn't send
anything at all to UNIX until a newline is typed somewhere beyond the
last-output point, which is why you don't have to clear the already-typed
stuff out of the UNIX terminal handler before sending the revised input
line when using "mux"; otherwise the operations are essentially the same.
There's nothing I know of about the 630 that prevents "mux" from being
implemented for it as well as the 5620.  It should be a fairly easy
porting job, the 630 being basically an augmented 5620 based on an MC68xxx
(like the Blit) instead of a WE32xxx.