BSD books to complement these SysV tomes?

Tony Rems rembo at uts.amdahl.com
Thu Aug 31 08:55:09 AEST 1989

In article <3969 at buengc.BU.EDU> bph at buengc.bu.edu (Blair P. Houghton) writes:
>I up and bought M. J. Bach's _The Design of the Unix Operating System_
>(Prentice-Hall) and _Unix System Administration_ by D. Fiedler and
>B. H. Hunter (Hayden)
>
>Bach's book is meaty and apparently as complete as a main concordance.
>I have no problems, here, as long as the index pages don't tatter from
>inquisitive thumbing.  Except... it states in the preface that it's
>not a BSD book, but a SysV book.
>
>The other book, while it seems to do justice to all the trade of the
>tricks (including a section on snarfing and installing your very own
>Usenet access, albeit referring to groups such as "net.unix" and
>"net.news.sa"... :-), only discusses the Sys{III,V} flavors of things,
>and also blows off BSD in the first chapter.
>
>So, short of throwing forty-foot-high, flaming, stone letters spelling
>"RTFM is all we know" at me, can anyone point me to a BSD-oriented book
>that concentrates on the system administration aspects of Unix?
>
>				--Blair
>				  "'Unix' is a trademark of AT&T
>				   Bell Laboratories, but then,
>				   so is 'Princess Phone'. :-)"

The best book I have seen on System Administration is called
"Unix System Administration Handbook" by Evi Nemeth, Garth Snyder,
and Scott Seebass.  Although McKusick's book on BSD is excellent
it does not really cover the System Administration aspect from
a practical standpoint.  I recommend this book highly even to
people who don't plan to be adminis.  There's a lot of good
stuff here, and it's fun to read.  (No, I don't work for them).

-Tony