Termcap, IC, and IM

Doug Gwyn gwyn at smoke.BRL.MIL
Tue Aug 29 07:31:56 AEST 1989

In article <19298 at mimsy.UUCP> chris at mimsy.UUCP (Chris Torek) writes:
>In article <10860 at smoke.BRL.MIL> gwyn at smoke.BRL.MIL (Doug Gwyn) writes:
>>... You should specify both im/ei and ic only if the terminal
>>requires both.
>This is misleading, because various applications (including vi)
>decide that a terminal can insert at all by examining `im' without
>looking at `ic'.

Yes, "vi" is coded that way.  It's not an error to fail to use a
given capability, just an inefficiency.  I think all the termcap
and terminfo documentation has explicitly stated that the terminal
description should include both (im & ic) only if both are required
in order to insert a character.  "vi" is being lazy.  We have other
termcap-driven editors around here that do it right.  If "vi" is
important to you, by all means adjust your terminal description to
cater to its quirks.

By the way, I've seen terminals with an "ic" capability where
editors were faster if you DIDN'T try to use the "ic" capability.