Termcap, IC, and IM

Chris Torek chris at mimsy.UUCP
Tue Aug 29 05:24:40 AEST 1989

In article <10860 at smoke.BRL.MIL> gwyn at smoke.BRL.MIL (Doug Gwyn) writes:
>... You should specify both im/ei and ic only if the terminal
>requires both.

This is misleading, because various applications (including vi)
decide that a terminal can insert at all by examining `im' without
looking at `ic'.  If im is set (to anything, including the empty
string), the application assumes the terminal is capable of
inserting (using the im+IC+ic+ip sequences).  If im is not set,
the terminal cannot insert, regardless of what is in IC+ic+ip.

This is a historical fact, if not a desirable one.  I *know* that
this is how vi worked in 4.1BSD, because I ripped some code out of
it.