What do all the different parity options mean?

Steven H. Izen izen at amelia.nas.nasa.gov
Wed Dec 6 11:58:39 AEST 1989

I know what even parity and odd parity are, but what does *space* or
*mark* mean in a parity choice?  Also, I think I understand what happens
when the bits/parity is 8/none or 7/even or 7/odd.  But where is the parity
bit stored when 8/even is used?  Is there any good introductory reference
to this?

Thanx.
--
Steve Izen: {sun,uunet}!cwjcc!skybridge!izen386!steve  / Quote corner:
or steve%izen386.uucp at skybridge.scl.cwru.edu          /