What do all the different parity options mean?

Doug Gwyn gwyn at smoke.BRL.MIL
Thu Dec 7 03:12:28 AEST 1989

In article <4090 at amelia.nas.nasa.gov> izen at cwru.cwru.edu (Steven H. Izen) writes:
>... what does *space* or *mark* mean in a parity choice?

Space is always 0, mark is always 1.

>where is the parity bit stored when 8/even is used?

Assuming the "8" means "8 data bits", 8/even describes a nine-bit
transmission format (actually, in asynchronous mode it will be 11 bits
due to one start and one stop bit per character).

>Is there any good introductory reference to this?

Digital Press used to sell a good intro to data communications
by McNamara.  I don't know if it's still in print.