Expansion of the acronym "grep"

Richard Childers childers at avsd.UUCP
Sat Jun 10 04:12:14 AEST 1989

glass at mica.berkeley.edu () writes:

>What is the correct expansion of the acronym "grep"?

	grep == Global Regular Expression Pattern

>I'd also be interested in knowing what the acronyms for the other flavors
>of grep (e.g. egrp) expand to.

	egrep == extended grep		additional pattern metacharacters

	fgrep == fast grep		optimized for fast pattern searches

>--Brett

-- richard

--
 *    "We must hang together, gentlemen ... else, we shall most assuredly     *
 *     hang separately."         Benjamin Franklin, 1776                      *