Expansion of the acronym "grep"

Doug Gwyn gwyn at smoke.BRL.MIL
Sun Jun 11 14:48:12 AEST 1989

In article <1261 at avsd.UUCP> childers at avsd.UUCP (Richard Childers) writes:
>	grep == Global Regular Expression Pattern

No!  GREP is an acronym for Go Read Every Paragraph of the "Life
With UNIX", where you can find out what "grep" is an acronym for,
as well as many other things better gotten from a book than by
burning large amounts of network bandwidth.

One wonders why people who don't know the correct answer are
nonetheless so confident in their notions that they go ahead
and post misinformation.  Not that it really matters in this
case; what do we care where the name "grep" came from, so
long as we know what it does and how to employ it.