What to do with core dumps?

R. Kannan kannan at babcock.cerc.wvu.wvnet.edu
Sun Jun 18 10:41:00 AEST 1989

>From article <4016 at silver.bacs.indiana.edu>, by regoli at silver.bacs.indiana.edu (michael regoli):
>
> what can you do with a core dump?
>
> when exiting from, say, a hung ftp session with ^\, what can you tell
> from the core file as to what happened and why?  how do you find out?

>   ...rutgers!iuvax!silver!regoli

there is a UNIX utility called "strings"

USAGE:

	strings core

Effect:

	Will output all printable characters from the file
        which here is the "core"

	Thus you can peek into the "core"
        and get some idea as to what happened.

PS: The fact that I have tried and played with "core" is a convincing proof
that I am not UNIX person yet. I am sure there are better things one
can do to find exactly what happened.

Thai is the reason core is created, I would think.

--kannan