Frequently asked questions in these groups deserve a monthly posting

Tim O'Reilly tim at ora.UUCP
Mon Jun 19 02:35:13 AEST 1989

In article <TALE.89Jun14153222 at imagine.pawl.rpi.edu>, tale at pawl.rpi.edu (David C Lawrence) writes:
> This document (Frequently Asked Questions About UNIX), if I don't miss my
> guess, could eventually become a *really* handy guide - and may grow to a
> compendium of considerable size. Is there a possibility that it could be
> set up with, say, Nutshell, to have permission to publish it from time to
> time - at a profit for editing, indexing, and distribution (*not* creation),
> of the copy? If it were started off with that intent, and a willing publisher
> were to step forward, I'd sure rather have a handy desk-reference than a bunch
> of printed out 8 1/2 x 11 computer sheets.

O'Reilly & Associates would be glad to publish such a book,
and to pay a fee for whatever pieces were included, assuming
that there is interest in such a book.  (We have often
thought that a printed "reader's digest" of the main
currents on the net would be a fun book to do.  However,
let me point out that editing and producing such a book
could be far more work than "creating" the contents.  There
is an awful lot of material to sift through!

Please let me know if you think this is a good idea and what
you think might be in such a book.

Thanks.

P.S.  The company name is O'Reilly & Associates, not
Nutshell.  In addition to publishing Nutshell Handbooks, we
publish a separate series of books on the X Window System,
and provide custom writing and production services creating
documentation for various vendors.  Calling us Nutshell is
like calling AT&T UNIX :-).

--
Tim O'Reilly (617) 354-5800 or (800) 338-NUTS
O'Reilly & Associates, Inc., Publishers of Nutshell Handbooks
UUCP:	uunet!ora!tim      ARPA:   tim at ora.uu.net