Possible Zmodem bug?

Lawrence [The Dreamer] Chen chen at .ucalgary.ca
Fri Jun 16 10:56:13 AEST 1989

In article <1514 at cs-spool.calgary.UUCP> paquette at cpsc.ucalgary.ca (Trevor Paquette) writes:
>   I think I have found a bug in Zmodem and was wondering if anyone has a fix
> for it. The problem is this: I have the latest version of rz/sz (3.03) and
> have compiled it for a Sun4 running Sun OS 4.0.1 ('make bsd'). I can xfer
> all files using zmodem just fine and dandy but it can't seem to handle
> 'ZOO' files. This is specific to the Sun only. Now I don't know if this
> is a problem with the BSD version of rz/sz or a problem with the OS itself.
>   I can send ZOO files from a local BBS here just fine, but I can't do it
> with ZOO files from our Unix system.
>   Has anyone else encountered this problem? and if so do you have some sort
> of fix?

Yes, I've encountered the problem....its because SZ looks at the first 6(?)
characters is a file to decide if you should send it as ascii or binary.

Unfortunately, the first 16 characters of a ZOO archive are
'ZOO 2.00 Archive'....all ASCII....so Zmodem thinks its ASCII and sends it
as ASCII.

There's a binary option switch....I think its '-b'.  I don't use Zmodem much.

>   Oh yeah.. These are the errors that I get on my end (the recieving end) of
> the xfer (I am using JrComm and an Amiga 2000):
>    Data subpacket length to long & Garbage count exceeded

How are you connected?  When I get it, I suspect its mostly a result of
Develnet or DECnet.  I've never had any problems doing the tranferrs with
the Amiga 1000's directly hooked up to the Suns.  But, lots from home.

>       Trev

>Trevor Paquette/GraphicsLand, Calgary, Alberta    Calgary Flames
>.{ubc-cs,utai,alberta}!calgary!paquette          Stanley Cup Champions 1989
>calgary!paquette at cs.ubc.ca                        The beginning of a dynasty!

     / ADHOCNET: Chen at Daffy.FhHosp.AB.CA     ___ Lunatic Haven BBS
    /         or Chen at Mv2.UNCA.AdhocNet.CA  /    [CA 403 239 1225]
 "I'm crazy, I don't work for anybody, and I'm having fun"
 BITNET: Chen%Daffy.FhHosp.AB.CA at UNCAEDU          - The Dreamer
      or Chen%Mv2.UNCA.AdhocNet.CA at UNCAEDU