Setting up System on AT machine

Kurt Gollhardt kdg at nirvo.UUCP
Mon Jun 5 16:55:34 AEST 1989

In article <143900001 at cdp>, cassidy at cdp.UUCP writes:
> Could someone please tell me if it's possible to setup AT&tT's System V on a
> 8MHz AT? I presently have an 8 MHz AT, Telebit T2000 modem, Hercules Display,
> 1 meg of RAM (upgrading to 2 Meg this week) and 2 Miniscribe 3650 40 Meg
> Hard drives. I would like to set the system up to use 2 terminals, and run a
> MS-DOS shell of some sorts. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

Not unless you replace the CPU with an 80386, such as the Intel Inboard 386.
There is no version of AT&T System V which runs on an 80286 (except the
version for the AT&T 6300-Plus, but that system has special hardware support).

If you do put in an Inboard 386, System V/386 3.2 works just fine - in fact,
I'm posting this message from just such a system.

The system ought to handle 2 terminals, although, depending on the types of
applications they'll be running, you'll probably want more than 2 Meg.
Consider getting memory with the Inboard; it'll be faster than AT bus memory.

To run MS-DOS under System V, you'll need AT&T Simultask-386.

--
- Kurt Gollhardt         |  Nirvonics, Inc. -- Software Design and Consulting
- ...!rutgers!nirvo!kdg  |  P.O. Box 5062, Plainfield, NJ 07061