Frequently asked questions in these groups deserve a monthly posting

Paul Houtz gph at hpsemc.HP.COM
Tue Jun 6 04:09:48 AEST 1989

campbell at redsox.bsw.com (Larry Campbell) writes:

>I think the notion of a periodic "Frequently asked questions" posting
>is an excellent idea, and anyone volunteering to do it has my support
>and thanks.

   I agree.   I am sorry for spouting off they way I did.  My wife says
I am having my period :-)

   I misunderstood the intention of the posting.  I do have a concern,
however, which I think is valid.

   I would like to see the following disclaimer posted at the head
of each of these summaries.  My justification follows the disclaimer:

<< --------------------------------------------------------------------->>
   WARNING!!

   This is a list of FREQUENTLY asked questions and answers, and you are
   invited to read this list as a CONVENIENCE to see if an answer to your
   question has been posted in the past.   These answers are moderated, so
   they are quite reliable.

   It is NOT NECESSARY for you to read this list before posting a question
   to this newsgroup;  it is considered BAD nettiquette to flame any one
   for asking a question that is answered in this posting.
<< ---------------------------------------------------------------------->>

   I am still worried about constriction of the bandwidth of this
newsgroup.   I am afraid that someone will ask a question that has
been asked before, that is summarized in the monthly posting, and
some jerk will flame them for not reading the monthly posting.

   It is not easy with our newsreader to read all the notes.  It is
quite easy to accidentally skip a note, and never see the FAQ list at
all.  Let's give people the benefit of the doubt.

   In my shop, there is a big reluctance on the part of most people
to post to usenet.   If someone does gut themselves up enough to post
a question to the net, and somebody flames them for this reason, it
will probably be the last time they ever post.

   Now, some people probably think that is good, but it concerns me.
When you create a list of frequently asked questions, you inadvertently
create a rule that everyone must pour through that list every time they
want to ask a question, or else they will get flamed for asking a question
that is in that list.   It also seems to me that the list will get
arbitrarily large.

    It also seems to me that this imposition of restrictions is a bad thing.
The usenet is what it is.   It's too bad if people ask questions and
occaisionally get wrong answers.  The same thing happens when they ask
questions verbally.   They must have the common sense to test out whatever
answer they get.

    Those timid souls who get flamed for posting a question who's answer
is in the list, can reply to the flamer with the above disclaimer, and
can feel assured that the flamer was in the wrong, and they were in the
right.    Perhaps, someday, they will have an answer to a question someone
desperately needs, and they will have the courage to post!

    Thank you all for your time in reading this.

Paul Houtz
HP Technology Access Center
10670 N. Tantau Avenue
Cupertino, Ca 95014