Frequently asked questions in these groups deserve a monthly posting

Glen Overby ncoverby at ndsuvax.UUCP
Mon Jun 12 14:36:48 AEST 1989

In article <810060 at hpsemc.HP.COM> gph at hpsemc.HP.COM (Paul Houtz) writes:
>[...]   I am afraid that someone will ask a question that has
>been asked before, that is summarized in the monthly posting, and
>some jerk will flame them for not reading the monthly posting.

I don't really think this will happen.  I've been maintaining the "Minix
Information Sheet" (a Frequently Asked Questions posting for comp.os.minix),
and I can't recall *anyone* being publicly flamed for not reading the Info
Sheet.  I don't know about email flames, but I do know that there are a few
helpful people who mail out copies of the Info Sheet to those asking common
questions.  I think it has been a Good Thing for the group, and it has
seemed to cut the redundant discussion down fairly well.

I'm all for the Comp.unix.* Frequently Answered Questions posting.  I wish
the author luck, and hope he gets the support of the rest of the group
readers.
--
		Glen Overby	<ncoverby at plains.nodak.edu>
	uunet!ndsuvax!ncoverby (UUCP)	ncoverby at ndsuvax (Bitnet)