4.3 Tahoe

Chris Torek chris at mimsy.UUCP
Fri Jun 23 18:03:05 AEST 1989

In article <102451 at felix.UUCP> cal at felix.UUCP (Cal J. Myers) writes:
>... some recommending getting 4.3 tahoe.  So here is my question.
>How does one go about it?  Who do you talk to?  And how much does it cost?

To answer this and one other question that appeared recently in this
group:

The `tahoe' in 4.3BSD-tahoe refers to a series of machines manufactured
by CCI [1], Harris [2], Sperry [3], and ICL [4] which were at some
point called `Tahoe' machines [5], in much the same way that DEC's [6]
VAX-11/780 [7], VAX-11/750 [8], and VAX-11/730 [9] are called `VAX'
machines. [10]

-----
Notes:
[1] Computer Consoles Inc., headquartered in New York state, USA, Earth,
    Sol system, Outer Spiral Arm, Milky Way galaxy, Andromeda cluster.
    I am not aware of their UniversPost zipcode polymer pattern.  The
    CCI Power-6/32 was the first Tahoe machine.
[2] The Harris HCX-7 and HCX-9 are Tahoes.  Harris is also an east coast
    manufacturer, if I recall correctly.  The HCX-9 uses a VMEbus instead
    of a VERSAbus.
[3] What Sperry's name for their Tahoe is I do not know.  Sperry is the
    name for the result of the merge of Burroughs and Sperry Univac.
    This, too, is an east cost manufacturer.
[4] I know not what ICL stands for, nor what their names may be for their
    Tahoe machines.  They are, however, a UK manufacturer.
[5] Probably named after the New York state Lake Tahoe (in the
    Adirondacks?).  Anyone at CCI who knows, please correct.
[6] DEC is a trademark of Digital Equipment Corporation, yet another east
    coast company.  Strange how all the DOD equipment manufacturers cluster
    on the left side. :-)
[7] Also known as the `Star'.
[8] The `Comet'.
[9] The `Nebula'.
[10] VAX stands for Virtual Address eXtension, according to DEC marketing
     literature (but N.B. that `marketing literature' is an oxymoron).
-----

Now, where was I... repeating the questions:

>How does one go about [getting 4.3BSD-tahoe]?

In more or less the same way one got 4.2BSD or 4.3BSD: contact
Berkeley, sign a license agreement, pay a nominal fee, and receive
a tape or three, along with many kilograms of bleached dead tree
with little black carbon markings (a.k.a. `documentation').

>Who do you talk to?

Berkeley, CSRG; Anne Hughes or Pauline Schwartz, I believe.  The
telephone number for the CSRG office is +1-415-624-4948.  To get
4.3-tahoe, you need only sign an addendum to your 4.3BSD agreement,
which was an addendum to your 4.2BSD agreement, which was fortunate
for those of us with University Lawyers.

>And how much does it cost?

That I cannot say.

You left out one question:

-What do you get on the tape(s)?

The tapes contain the full source tree [1] for both the VAX and the
Tahoe, including kernel and all user utilities.  They also have boot
images and binaries FOR THE TAHOE ONLY.  The VAX sources were not
extensively tested before cutting the master tape, and apparently there
are a few glitches.  You can expect installation to take some effort.
Keith Bostic wrote up some instructions based on reports given back to
Berkeley; I imagine these are included with current orders.  They
should help.  Keith would not be unhappy to receieve corrections (aside
from having yet another thing to do).

-----
Note:
[1] There is only a single source tree, but occasionally it takes
    machine-dependent branches, e.g., for the compilers and for
    assembly language routines.
-----

Relevant addition:
[okeeffe.berkeley.edu]
Login: bostic         			Name: Keith Bostic
Project:
	4BSD
Plan:
Address:
	Keith Bostic			+1-415-642-4948
	457 Evans Hall
	CSRG, CSD
	University of California
	Berkeley, CA  94720

	"Yo, Mike!"
	"Yeah, Gabe?"
	"We got a problem down on Earth.  In Utah."
	"I thought you fixed that last century!"
	"No, no, not that.  Someone's found a security problem in the physics
program.  They're getting energy out of nowhere."
	"Blessit!  Lemme look...  <tappity clickity tappity>  Hey, it's
there all right!  OK, just a sec...  <tappity clickity tap... save... compile>
There, that ought to patch it.  Dist it out, wouldja?"
		-- Fusion, 1989