4.3 Tahoe

John G Dobnick,EMS E380,4142295727, jgd at csd4.milw.wisc.edu
Fri Jun 23 20:37:06 AEST 1989

[Hmmm...  "correcting" Mr. Torek.  I tread lightly.  :-) ]

>From article <18238 at mimsy.UUCP>, by chris at mimsy.UUCP (Chris Torek):
> In article <102451 at felix.UUCP> cal at felix.UUCP (Cal J. Myers) writes:
>>... some recommending getting 4.3 tahoe.  So here is my question.
>>How does one go about it?  Who do you talk to?  And how much does it cost?
>
> The `tahoe' in 4.3BSD-tahoe refers to a series of machines manufactured
> by CCI [1], Harris [2], Sperry [3], and ICL [4] which were at some
                          ^------ now called Unisys, and I believe they
				  only OEMed the machines.
> point called `Tahoe' machines [5],...
>
> -----
> Notes:
> [3] What Sperry's name for their Tahoe is I do not know.  Sperry is the
       [7000/40.  Presumably the "Unisys 7000/40", but ours is old enough
	to still say "Sperry".]
>     name for the result of the merge of Burroughs and Sperry Univac.
       [Burroughs + Sperry => Unisys]

> [4] I know not what ICL stands for, nor what their names may be for their
       [I thought "International Computers Ltd. but my memory is foggy
       on this.  (Or is that "Computres"?]
--
John G (Long live Exec-8!) Dobnick
Computing Services Division @ University of Wisconsin - Milwaukee
INTERNET: jgd at csd4.milw.wisc.edu
UUCP: <backbone>!uwvax!uwmcsd1!jgd

"Knowing how things work is the basis for appreciation,
and is thus a source of civilized delight."  -- William Safire